TubeMogul has some interesting video stats which we discussed in this blog post
. These stats beg a bigger question: why are the majority of YouTube video’s attracting very little to no views? I think there are two kinds of reasons for this:
- Reasons related to the content of the video
- Reasons related to the optimization of the video
We addressed some of the content issues in this same post, in the assumption that your content adds value, and is structured correctly. If you are looking for some input on how to create good video content, we always recommend creating customer stories, expert interviews and how-to video’s. If what you are talking about is compelling enough, your content will be as well.
What a lot of people forget is there is more to making a video then actually creating it. You also need to promote it, so it can get found. Here are some tips to make sure you get the most mileage out of your YouTube video
- Branded YouTube channel: invest some time and effort in making it look good. It will be worth it
- Title: you will need to balance getting keywords in your title vs writing a title that still makes sense AND is compelling
- Descriptions: leverage them as much as you can. Embed your keywords, make sure you feature your speaker names in them, and put a clickable link within the first 20 words, assuming you want to drive traffic to your web site
- Tags: make sure your tags are relevant, as detailed as possible and consistent with each other. Use your top keywords, brand name, city and topic at a minimum
- Web Site: make sure that you embed your video on your web site, optimizing the landing page. We recommend uploading to your web site first before uploading to YouTube, so you can get mileage out of the back links
- Community: encourage community interaction by enabling ratings, using annotations, and referencing your other video’s in the responses you post to user comments, when relevant. This will help your video getting found by your target audience
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to share below.